Friday 13 July 2012

Usborne Books - Were they around when we were young?

When I was young I never really enjoyed art at school. I think it had something to do with the fact that I couldn't draw things exactly as they looked. My brain told me my pictures were not any good. Funny how I now I love things that don't look like they should, things that have their own little quirks and individual appearances.

Maybe it was because I never really paid enough attention to my teachers but I can't really recall being taught how to draw; how to put the picture together and the order of drawing that I needed to think about. (I suspect I may be doing my teachers a huge disservice but honestly, I can't remember). 

As a result I am really enjoying all the Usborne books there are that show you these very things. It may not be very productive, as an adult, learning how to draw a fairy but I do find it very satisfying and rewarding. It's very absorbing and I actually feel that I am learning the basics at last.

On our regular trip to the library to stock up on some new reads I spotted this Usborne book and so we've sat down and had a go.




Niamh tried the ballerinas and I think did rather well. Of course she, who might be a bit like mum, really wasn't happy with them as they didn't look like the picture!



I tried the Princesses. The scans haven't come out quite as well as I would have liked but hopefully you can see enough.







In another life I might have liked to have been a book illustrator or a surface pattern designer but for now I'm happy content that I can draw a smiley cartoon Princess!

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment