Sunday 5 February 2012

5th February - A near miss

Just out the end of another power cut. I thought I was going to miss doing the blog again. It was four hours this time, kicking in just after we had eaten an early tea and I had just finished todays crafted heart, melted pony bead heart.

I had made this one with Cait a few years back and I spotted it recently when she was tidying her room. 
It got me thinking about having another go. The top side always has a shiny smooth finish that you just want to hold in your hand.


Conversely the bottom ends up dead smooth and matt.


So I had another go. I found a couple of heart shaped cookie cutters and filled them with pony beads so that they were about two layers full. I also lightly greased the inside of the cutters as I had seemed to remember a few issues over releasing it last time. I used butter which tarnished the cutters but I have heard since that vaseline is a good alternative.


It was then into a preheated oven at about 200°C for between 15 and 20 mins. If you can look through the oven door it's best and beware for the fumes. Wonderfully shiny and smooth plastic hearts. 

These two really remind me of Elmer the Elephant!


Of course the challenge then is to work out what to do with them but I had a cunning idea and went and found a couple of slip rings and clips. Hey presto two key rings. One of these is going with our spare key to a neighbour and I'm not sure about the other yet.


Whilst the power was off  I got to indulge in reading a craft book through from almost start to finish. This never normally happens. The usual situation is that I dip in and out during the day, between interruptions or just before bed. It was a real treat. 

I had just picked it up from the library and was dead intrigued as it was all about mixed media art. Called The Cloth Paper Scissors Book: Techniques and Inspiration for Creating Mixed-Media Art, it was really quite fascinating. If you get chance have a look through, it's got some really inspiring projects with some great techniques and has certainly got me thinking.


Hoping for a day full of electricity tomorrow!

xx












No comments:

Post a Comment